It’s hot here in central Minnesota. REALLY hot and humid! Winter is about the last thing on my mind right now. And I know Christmas seems like a loooooong way off, but there’s good reason to start thinking about it now: HOMEMADE GIFTS!
On one side of our extended family we decided to exchange only homemade gifts at Christmas time last year. It was nice for many reasons:
- We all have so much stuff, and I found myself looking at trinkets I might afford but would only add to someone else’s clutter.
- The focus was more on spending our time and talent on the gifts rather than money.
- It was fun to tap into my creative reserves and learn (or grow in) a new skill!
- Age and income didn’t matter as much, everyone can make something!!!
- They ended up being more useful or practical gifts.
- Since we made our gifts at home we didn’t have to run around as much in all the Christmas Retail Chaos and fight crowds and parking lots!
- The gifts seemed so special knowing the love and time that went into them!
Some of the things given and received:
Homemade Candy and Sweet Treats
Sewn kid bathrobes
Crocheted Hats and Scarves
Dress-up Superhero Capes and Crowns
Sewn Backpacks and purses
Premixed Meat Rubs and Spices
Wood carved toy rifles
Quilted Table Runners
Painted Christmas Ornaments
Rice-Filled Hot/Cold Packs
There are so many options out there! If you start to think about it now, you could even learn a new skill like crocheting and give away simple dishcloths! The point is, start looking now and considering having a Homemade Christmas this year! It might become an annual tradition! J
Some of our other favorite blogs are showcasing different homemade gifts too. Check out Happy Housewife’s Christmas in July posts here.
On A Lighter Journey here’s a couple options for Homemade Gifts:
Come back throughout the week to see more thoughtful gift ideas you can start working on now to prepare for the Christmas season!