Today’s White Chocolate Pudding recipe is inspired by a bar of Ghirardelli White Chocolate Premium Baking Bar. And it comes with a warning: do not taste the white chocolate…just cook something with it fast! If you taste, you will want to consume the whole bar! (That’s why this recipe calls for 3 oz of white chocolate…I
ate tasted the other ounce.) 😉
There is a difference in really good white chocolate: look for cocoa butter in the ingredients. That’s what makes chocolate chocolate! But many white chocolate products don’t even include it! I think it makes a difference and is worth it if you can find it!
- 3 oz premium white chocolate
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 c whole milk
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 1/2 t vanilla
1. On medium low heat melt white chocolate in a sauce pan with the sugar and a few tablespoons of the milk. Stir the cornstarch and the rest of the milk together in a separate bowl or measuring cup so that there’s no lumps.
2. Add to the white chocolate and sugar mixture in the pan and continue to stir until it thickens (about 10 min.).
3. Once thick turn heat to low and scoop out a cup or so and set it aside for a couple of minutes to cool a bit. Add the cup of slightly cooled white chocolate mixture to egg yolks and stir together to temper the eggs.
4. Add it all back to the sauce pan and continue to stir on low heat until it thickens even more…maybe another 5 minutes or so. Once pudding coats a spoon it’s done.
5. Pour pudding into a bowl, stir in vanilla, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until it is cooled and ready to serve!
This pudding was wonderful warm right off the stove, but it is also delicious served over fresh summer berries or angel food cake!
- If you want plain vanilla pudding use 3/4 cup sugar and omit white chocolate. Use a full teaspoon of vanilla.
- Regular chocolate: substitute unsweetened chocolate baking squares and use 3/4 cup sugar.
- For a firmer pudding add an extra tablespoon of cornstarch.
And just because my very biased opinion is that these guys are pretty cute and I like to show them off…here’s my taste testers!
Don’t forget the Shutterfly Photo Book Giveaway if you haven’t entered yet!